CUPE3908: Unit 1 Chief Steward Vacancy - APPLY NOW
Unit 1 Chief Steward Vacancy
As Unit 1 Chief Steward, you are responsible for representing Unit 1 members in formal and informal meetings with the employer and the executive. In order to do this, you will develop familiarity with the processes and bodies that regulate employer-employee relations at Trent, including the Collective Agreement and the grievance process. You will be supported in this work by the President and Unit 1 Vice President. Stewarding training is available through CUPE and you are encouraged to participate.
The vacant position is open only to members of the bargaining unit (i.e. only a Unit 1 member can be apply).
Members chosen to fill the Chief Steward position will become members of the Executive Committee, and will receive a monthly stipend of approximately $580 with the expectation of approximately 5-7 hours of work per week. The positions will commence immediately and be held until the next Annual General Meeting in October or November. Feel free to contact us if you have any questions about the positions or would like more information, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Communicating with members and assisting them in resolving workplace concerns
- Developing familiarity with formal and informal processes for resolving disputes
- Developing understanding of the grievance process and relevant legislation
- Maintaining records of grievance and disciplinary meetings
- Working with CUPE regional representative throughout grievance
- Develop and maintain thorough knowledge of Unit 1 Collective Agreement
- Assists with outreach and education of the members
- Assists with organizing new members
- Assisting in recruiting and training departmental stewards
- Calling and Chairing regular stewards meetings
- Member of other committees as time and priority allow
Skills and Experience that would be assets:
- Previous experience as a contract faculty member (at Trent and/or other Universities)
- Able to work both collaboratively and independently
- Negotiation skills/experience
- Previous experience as a board member in the public or private sector
- Interest and/or experience in the field of social justice/ workers rights
- Interpersonal and Communication skills
Please send a brief (max 2 pages) CV and letter of interest to email@example.com.
Deadline for applications is Friday, January 19th at 5PM
Last modified: 17-Jan-18